GIRLTREK'S WALKING REVOLUTION
Put your name down in history. We're starting a new health movement! ONE MILLION Black women walking in our neighborhoods by 2018!
1. Tell us how to support you.
I want to start a Trek Team, keep me in the loop with tools and tips
I want to apply to be a CIty Rep next spring, keep me posted.
My goal is to be a solo trekker. I'm going to walk by myself, Tubman-style.
2. SISTER-POWER: Volunteers across the country are working hard to build a walking movement in several cities. Sister-power! Are you reppin' one of these cities? If so, which City Rep inspired you to join?
I learned about GirlTrek elsewhere.
ATLANTA with Didi
BEAUFORT with Ruth-Naomi
BIRMINGHAM with Keecha
CHATTANOOGA with LaKeisha
CHICAGO with Angelia
CHICAGO with Sandria
CLEVELAND with Colleen
DETROIT with Chrysantha
DETROIT with Rochelle
HARRISBURG with Lashawn Lily
HENDERSON with Vonda
HOUSTON with Adrian
JACKSON with Cynthia
LOS ANGELES with B. Symone
LOS ANGELES with Nicole
MADISON with Vanika
MEMPHIS with Cassandra
N. Jersey with Morgan
OAKLAND with Alicia
OAKLAND with Katrina
ST LOUIS with Ashley
ST LOUIS with Faye
WASHINGTON DC with Wordna
WASHINGTON DC/S. MARYLAND with Tiffany
3. Someone else? Tell us who referred you to GirlTrek? (optional)
4. Calling all saints! Are you registering with a church? (optional)
Yes, I am starting a trek team at my church
Yes, I'm joining a trek team at my church
- If so, list 1) FULL NAME of your church
- plus 2) CITY, STATE of your church
- and 3) ZIP CODE of your church
5. Describe your current level of activity:
I'm a BEAST! I do heart-pumping exercise 5 or more days per week.
I'm ON IT! I workout between 1 and 4 times per week!
OKAY for real. I don't workout every week yet. I occassionally get exercise.
SAVE a sister! I can't front. I don't exercise!
6. What age group are you in?
I am a Community Elder (over 75 years old)
I'm a Sizzling Senior (60-75 years old)
I am Grown and Sexy (30-59 years old)
I am a Young Adult (18-29 years old)
I am a Teen (13 -17)
I am a Girl (12 or younger)
7. So many sister have lost weight in this walking movement! 100lbs, 60lbs, 15lbs, you name it! To track that, it's helpful to know where we're starting - generally speaking.
I'm OVER a healthy weight (overweight or obese)
I'm within a healthy weight range (according to BMI)
I'm UNDER a healthy weight (underweight)
I honestly don't know.
8. THE CALL TO ACTION: We are facing a health crisis! 80 percent of us are over a healthy weight. HALF of our daughters will be diagnosed with diabetes unless diet and levels of activity change. Black women are dying earlier and at higher rates than any other group of women -in EVERY state in the country! This is our call to action! ONE MILLION BY 2018! Let's put the MOVE back in movement! You are joining the GirlTrek community. We will keep you informed of all the upcoming challenges.
I HAVE READ THE CALL TO ACTION
9. COMMITMENT STATEMENT: "I will join women and girls across the country in living a healthier, more fulfilled life - simply by walking. Together we will lace up our sneakers and step out on faith. We walk for exercise, for stress relief, to inspire our daughters and to reclaim our streets!
I promise to walk 30 minutes per day, 5 days per week! Sometimes we will walk in groups, but we ain't afraid to walk alone. I will proudly wear my superhero blue to remind myself that WE have to be our OWN heroes and healthy role models!
When I get discouraged, I will remember the courage and determination of the women who walked before me. We are inspired by our history - from Harriet Tubman, to the women who walked in the Montgomery! When Black women walk, things change!
I will spread the word so that by 2018, we will be ONE MILLION strong. Together we will celebrate walking a health tradition and reclaim it as part of our culture! I'm ready!"
I HAVE READ AND ACCEPT THE COMMITMENT
10. GENERAL RELEASE: I have read and understand GirlTrek's mission and vision. I understand that I'm am not an official representative of GirlTrek. I am a community member who wants to support and organize. In exchange for permission to participate in walks, events, outdoor activities, group or individual exercise, and any other activities sponsored or organized by GirlTrek: I release from liability and agree not to sue GirlTrek or any of its employees, agents, volunteers or sponsors with respect to any claims of personal injury or damage to my property that I may sustain as a result of participating in any GirlTrek activities. I allow GirlTrek to take photographs or videos of me while participating in GirlTrek events, and to use such photographs and videos as well as my name and other identifying information that I have provided on the GirlTrek website and in other GirlTrek promotional material, without the right to receive any payment. If you are under the age of 18, the you must confirm the permission of your parent or legal guardian prior to registering with GirlTrek. I certify that I am either over 18 years of age or am between the ages of 13 and 18 and have obtained the consent of my parents.
I'VE READ AND AGREE TO THE GENERAL RELEASE
Do Not Fill This Out